Thursday, September 04, 2008

The Walkmen, Fad Diets and What Being a Developer Means


Sounds
Vanessa and I went to the Outside Lands Music Festival in Golden Gate park two weekends ago, and one of the more exciting shows I saw, and one which I haven't read about at all, was the Walkmen.

Take a listen. Think of a guy who doesn't know how to sing well, but a backing band that is full of amazing musicians. Then think about how red his face turns from screaming. It's pretty awesome.

Opinion
In January of this year, Vanessa and I had done the "Fat Flush Diet". She wanted to do some sort of cleansing flush diet, and I wanted to try the Zone diet due to it's popularity with the Crossfit people. I lost 20 something pounds in three weeks. I put 20 pounds back on in another two months. Now, I'm down 10 pounds from my original weight on January 1st, 2008. Vanessa has transitioned into the South Beach diet, an old favorite of hers, and I started down the track of the Whole Foods thing, leading me into the Locavore ideal.

There are a couple things I've noticed from most of these diet fads. First of all, most focus on removing something from your diet. Be it starch, sugars, fats, or things from farther than 100 miles away from where you're at. Secondly, when I'm actively participating, I think that the diet I'm on is the only one that's right.

The logical conclusions from these two issues is that a.) I (we as Americans) just plain eat too much, and b.) I (and thousands of others) are easily persuaded by the writers of these books. I hate being persuaded, so I think I'm going to continuing doing what I think is right. That is what's kept people alive for thousands of years prior. I'd like to eliminate consumerism from my life and actively participate in growing foods and eating what I can grow. I want to rely on as few people as possible, and only those in my community. This should be said for all things. I won't hire India to do work someone in my neighborhood could do. I won't drive a car when I have time to walk or ride a bike. All of these things are contagious in San Francisco, and I feel like I'm the silly new guy just figuring it all out. But every new guy does it a little different.

The opinion here is that fad diets are for the birds. So is industrial farming. Don't starve yourself of nutrients, and don't gorge in them either.

Programming
Thinking about "hats" that are worn by the typical software developer today, I had a list in my head. A software developer is:
  • An expert in legal issues regarding licensing
  • A craftsman
  • A project manager
  • A conductor
  • An author
  • A problem solver
  • A poet
  • A expressionist
  • A quality analyst
  • A scientist
  • An overseer
  • Hired help
  • An editor
  • A critic
  • Simultaneously an expert and a novice
  • A typist
  • A data entry person
  • A researcher
  • A librarian

No comments: