Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Agile

After reflecting on the direction of my career, I realized that I am not fit to be a programmer or a hardware engineer. I studied to be a hardware designer (firmware, chip level, and board level), but quickly became discouraged because there were only software jobs. I learned how to write software better, and that's what I've done ever since. Now I'm at a point where I have experience...but guess what. All of that Linux and Solaris (even being a T.A. in a C Programming class on Solaris boxes)....they all think I know too much about Windows.

Well, I realized that I'm fit to be a manager instead. Not a project manager, but a department head. Someone that develops other managers and provides resources for them to perform their job effectively.

Wait. But how do I get there? I'm just a Development Manager right now, working undercover as a Development Engineer.

Well, I have a feeling I'm not getting the right experience for my new goal. So my new job and outlook for jobs will be to look for project management positions and tell them I know how to lead a group and Agile and all that.

But I want to tell the truth...like I always do in interviews. Humble Ben never getting job offers due to his extreme modesty.

So, I found Scrum. I found that you can become a Certified ScrumMaster for only $1200. I'm determined to covert this ancient systems development group into a modern product driven research machine, which pumps out quality products that will ensure our future, and force management to get on the horse and sell this shit. I'm sick of waiting for the next job, when we have no sales team, no integration team, we have a part time quote writer and a part time micromanager.... it's time for change.

I'm going to set up a product backlog for my personal work on the intranet's wiki. Then, I'll have daily meetings with my mind to tell it what it will be doing for the rest of the day (no excuses). I'll set monthly goals based on this backlog. When I decide that it's good to go, I'll present it to the team, and we'll convert our software shop from pre-Waterfall into Scrum-3000.

Until then. It's time to work.

1 comment:

Dave Doolin said...

I wrote on my personal wiki today that of all the programmers I have worked for, against, with or hired, older Windows programmers were on average by far the most quietly professional programmers I have ever worked with.

Speaking as someone who first installed debian 1.2 (rex?) in 1996, I find the "linux culture" to be, well, not my cup of tea.

This may be because I am not emotionally attached to my code, and I don't self-identify as a "programmer" or "geek."