Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Using Craigslist

I got a new apartment this month. I moved to the Bay Area a little over a year ago. Since I came with no furniture, building a house out of cheap Craigslist (CL) furniture is a daunting task for someone with style in mind. I thought I would list the categories and the pros and cons of each.
  1. Individual sellers
    1. Pros
      1. Cheap
      2. Personal (you usually get a history)
      3. Price is always negotiable.
    2. Cons
      1. Never have dimensions
      2. Often, there is no image or a stock image
  2. Scams
    1. Pros
      1. You get to beat someone up for free!
      2. You don't get the merch, but you get a free opportunity to utilize some adrenaline.
    2. Cons
      1. Sometimes there's more than one, so fighting them with a Nerf (r) gun is a daunting task
      2. Sometimes there's too many of them, and they take your money and beat you up.
  3. Companies using the free advertising CL offers
    1. Pros
      1. It's convenient and they post hours, pictures, and prices.
      2. Usually greater selection
    2. Cons
      1. Overpriced
      2. Usually poor quality for the price range of a 20-something
      3. Not the point of a community list
      4. Lot's of spam
Now, I've found some great deals on Craigslist, such as a free Cherry wood desk from Bombay furniture, and a $100 solid mahogany desk that is HUGE and real. This is way under priced.

But now, I'm looking for a couch and a television. Kitchen table and chairs, and yard furniture is also on the list of things to get. I sure do need a bedside table and some new living room furniture. How about an entertainment center for the TV, stereo equipment and records that I already have?

Well, I have a lot of work to do on the CL (as someone who says "The Google" would say), so I better get to it.

No comments: