Thursday, October 04, 2007

Microsoft OS.NET

Developers at Microsoft have announced that they will open source .NET3.5 (comes with Visual Studio 2008), including the basic .NET libraries, Linq, ADO.NET, ASP.NET, and a few others, under Ms-RL.

The problem is, we won't be able to modify the code. We will be able to see it in a debugger, just so we can understand what's going on. It's for reference. Hence, the name "Microsoft Reference License".

Which, to me, is fine. I'm glad that they're taking this step. It means, that, for the first time in Microsoft's history, we will get to see the man behind the mask. We will finally be able to figure some basic building blocks of the Windows operating system that previously would have been reverse engineered. Since they're keeping comments in the source code, they can instruct how to use that specific function/class/interface.

I'm excited, because for the first time, we can see MSDN content integrated within the source code. Think PyDoc.

I probably won't be an early adopter to .NET3.5 (although I've already used it for a project) with Visual Studio 2008 (formerly Orcas), but I can't wait to use Linq and XLinq to query me some data. I'm excited!

No comments: